Friday, July 27, 2007

Process of Becoming a Peace Corps Volunteer

Peace Corps was always something that I wanted to do because it would give me an opportunity to live in a different culture and learn a language. It was a time for personal growth; looking back I was so restless and needed solitude. I started my Peace Corps application in 2004 and finally submitted it in April 2006! The first interview was inspiring and it was obvious that I was ready and fit to be a Peace Corps Volunteer (PCV). At the end of my interview, the placement officer asked, “Why Peace Corps?” I was upset by his question but understood him because I have worked for a few international organizations in foreign countries. I told him, “Peace Corps philosophy is different than most international non-government organizations and it’s just something that I wanted to do for a long time.” We shook hands and congratulated me and said, “soon you will be helping people helping themselves in Africa.” The process of becoming a trainee and a volunteer is quite a long process but I just took into account that this is part of the process that will put me in Africa helping others help themselves.

No comments: